Gandhi Jayanti is a National Holiday celebrated in India to mark the occasion of the birthday of Mohandas Gandhi, the "Father of the Nation." He was born on October 2, 1869. Hence Gandhi Jayanti is celebrated every year on the 2nd of October. It is one of the three official declared National Holidays of India and is observed in all Indian states and union territories. The United Nations General Assembly announced on 15 June 2007 that it adopted a resolution which declared that the 2nd of October will be celebrated as the International Day of Non-Violence.
Some of the famous quotes by Mahatma Gandhi have been listed below :
* Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
* Fear is not a disease of the body; fear kills the soul.
* The principle of majority does not work when differences on fundamentals are involved.
* Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
* It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of nonviolence to cover impotence.
* It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err.
* You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty.
* Honest differences are often a healthy sign of progress.
* Whatever you do may be insignificant, but it is very important that you do it.